Er. Roshan Pandey
Small Hydro Power Equipment Testing and Research Laboratory
Faculty of Technology, NAST
Small Hydro Power (SHP) program was initiated from fiscal year 2071/72 at NAST under Faculty of Technology. This program was developed for development of research and standardized testing of Small Hydro Power equipment within the country. Since, the hydro power is main potential electrical energy source in our country so, for this context there is high necessity for R&D in this field.
Main objective of this program is to initiate the field and lab based research in field of hydro power with the establishment of hydro testing lab facility at NAST.
Major Activities till date
MoU with Ministry of Energy
Faculty of Technology, NAST has signed MoU with Ministry of Energy for establishing laboratory for testing hydro equipment and machines in fiscal year 2071/072.
Silanyash Program for Hydro Laboratory by Vice Chancellor, NAST
Vice Chancellor of NAST, Prof. Dr. Jib Raj Pokhrel has Silanyash the laboratory for hydro power on 23rd Poush 2071. The laboratory was established with the intent to provide testing and research facilities for Small Hydro Power plants particularly in electro mechanical sector.
Inauguration of Small Hydro Power Equipment Testing and Research Laboratory
A collaborative project on "Small Hydro Power Equipment Testing and Research Laboratory" was jointly inaugurated by Prof. Dr. Jiba Raj Pokharel, Vice Chancellor, Nepal Academy of Science and Technology (NAST) and Mr. Suman Prasad Sharma, Secretary, Ministry of Energy (MoEn) on 24th Chaitra, 2072.
- Identification of major problems in Small Hydro Power plants particularly in electromechanical section within the country.
- Solutions, in short and long terms, for above identified problems.
- Addition of basic testing and measuring instruments to the hydro-lab facility at NAST.
- Demand-based research in Small Hydro Power sector.
- Continual capacity building of the hydropower equipment standardization at NAST
- Establishment of various testing facilities for Small Hydro Power producer.
- Performance evaluation and analysis unit for assessment of various hydro power equipments
- Well equipped lab for different hydro power components testing and technology transfer within Nepal.
- Lab based research on different components and machines related to small hydro power.
- Expansion of research work on hydro power and other similar problems.
- Continual research and innovation in modernization of hydro lab.
The capacity-building program in hydropower sector through establishment of demonstration-based laboratory for technology transfer in South Asian region for workshop trainings and development of standards/guidelines are the recent focus of this program.
NAST has the MOU with following organizations and institutes for Small Hydro Power activities
- Ministry of Energy, Government of Nepal
- National Research Institute for Rural Electrification (NRIRE), also called Hangzhou Regional Centre for Small Hydro Power (Asia-Pacific) (HRC), Ministry of Water Resources, PR China
- International Centre on Small Hydro Power (ICSHP), PR China