Message from the Vice-Chancellor
I welcome you to Nepal Academy of Science and Technology (NAST). As an autonomous institution established by the Government of Nepal about four decades ago for the overall development of Science and Technology, NAST has been striving to tackle burning issues related to Science and Technology in Nepal. Apart from its well defined national roles as Think Tank, Catalyst, Facilitator, and Innovator in S&T, NAST also plays an advisory role to the Government of Nepal.
Science & Technology is the discipline of knowledge, which influences every walk of modern human civilization. In the context of current national drive for “Prosperous Nepal and Happy Nepali”, the role of Science and Technology becomes pivotal. We are at the crucial juncture of our country’s history, where we have no liberty to fail or remain stagnant. We have to inculcate scientific temperament and industrious habits in our society, being equipped with scientific knowledge and technical skills. We must try to break the boundaries of low innovation trap through divergent thinking. In order to achieve these objectives, there should be revision of scientific curricula at all levels. Higher studies in S&T must be connected to Research, Development, and Innovation. New knowledge and technical skills need to be linked with industrial production. Only then will we be able to pave the way for prosperous Nepal.
Following are the key areas on which NAST will be focused in the days ahead.
• Mobilization of entire society for technology preservation, transfer, adaptation, modernization, and diffusion in societies, especially through youth in Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) activities, for Social Transformation under a campaign “ Science for Society”
• Scientific research focused on knowledge generation and problem solving under a campaign “ Result Oriented Research”
• Promotion of Innovation and Entrepreneurship under a campaign “Innovation for Prosperity”
• Academia – Professional Societies- Government- Industries Partnership under a campaign “Public-Private-People Partnership”
• Proportionate progress through Scientific temperament in all sectors of STI and at all levels of governance under a campaign “ Science Justice”
• Enhancement of international cooperation and collaboration in STI under a campaign “ Science Diplomacy”
• Above all, Develop NAST as an Institution having Smart Technology with Motivated and Smart People under a campaign “ Smart NAST”
As a leader, I will leave no stone unturned during my tenure to revitalize NAST through its activities and establish itself as a vibrant premier institution of Nepal in true sense. In this voyage, I extend my hearty welcome for your active participation, collaboration, suggestions, and / or constructive criticism to take the Academy to a new height of its glory.
Dr. Sunil Babu Shrestha